Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lab Experiment Gone Wrong



Snazzy intro video-



With this energetic start, I headed off to the engineering quad.

Of course, it would turn out that the first person I talked to was actually working in a nanotechnology lab. That killed my story really fast... You can bluff knowing certain things in life by just reading the wikipedia article. Nanoscience is not one of those things. (Ryan Leigon referred me to an excellent example of which subjects are best for pretending: http://xkcd.com/451/ )

After having my story about nanobots thoroughly shut down by a Rice science whiz, and after receiving several concerned looks from professors in the physics buildings, I decided my efforts should be relocated to less scientifically inclined areas of campus.

Sooo, back to Fondren. On the way, I managed to show a campus tour some of the more eccentric side of Rice. I also saw two girls whisper about me, and I'm pretty sure they took pictures of me on their phones. Sadly, they didn't ask me to pose, or I definitely would have (just ask the 3 people who took pictures with me on Cow Appreciation Day).

Fondren once again provided some great literature for my character. I couldn't find Pyrotechnical Chemistry for Dummies, but there was a section on Testing for Explosivity in "Safety Assessment for Chemical Processes".

I carried this book around for a while- to Brochstein, to dinner, on the inner loop bus. Sadly, the only people who commented on the combination of the book and costume were friends.
"Now why didn't I read this *before* the experiment?"

I did notice a few people staring at me, as my costume was at least a little more believable for Rice. Two acquaintances expressed mild concern about me having actually blown myself up. A few astute strangers also asked what the costume was for, correctly deducing that explosions near faces actually tend to send people to hospitals, not wandering around campus. The bus again yielded very few results, except for wonderful Son, the bus driver, who asked all about my attire and was very interested in the whole 4 Walls Broken process.

That's all for now! The project for hopefully Friday is still in the works, so no teaser for that.
Awesome self-appointed bonus points- several people have asked where I got my robes, saying that they'd want to try studying in robes. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment